4 - BORDERS

savicenta_tz15-070520.jpg

The castle was also in charge of both the estate and country border security in equal measure. The borders were often the source of many quarrels because the inhabitants of different neighboring territories often crossed from one territory into the other with the intention of illegal logging or grazing, which did great damage to the estates owners and the local population. To make the agreed demarcation as clear as possible, different stone markings, so-called “kunfini”, were placed on the border lines. Such markings can still sporadically be found in their original places, and two “kunfini” with the Morosini family coats of arms from 1564 are exhibited in this room.

Historical development and frequent territorial changes due to the power realignment on the peninsula made this estate the border region located in-between different countries. Thus, at the end of the Middle Ages, the estate formed part of the Pazin Margraviate that belonged to the Habsburgs, and shared the border with the Venetian Republic, and during the 16th century it became part of the Venetian Republic and shared the border with the Habsburg territory. Similar stone markings were used for marking those borders as well, and a fragment of one of them from 1755 can be seen on the wall of this room.

Due to its location, one of the main purposes of the castle was to defend its inhabitants from enemy attacks. Due to Svetvinčenat not being a settlement surrounded by defensive walls, the castle also took on a role of a refuge for the population living in the immediate vicinity. Strong walls ensured the safety of the inhabitants, while the castle’s weaponry both in quantity and quality served as an effective defense and, if necessary, offensive military power.

In the 17th century, Bishop Tommasini stated in his writings that the castle had room for as many as 200 soldiers under arms, an ammunition storage, as well as a weapons hall for two hundred muskets, and swords and halberds… The numerous cold weapons and firearms, sufficient ammunition and gunpowder inside the fort were also confirmed by different military equipment lists, compiled by the captains, in which the evolution of weaponry can be observed.

In the display cases you can see some of the assortment of weapons used in the 16th and 17th centuries.

image001 - manja.jpg

ISTARSKA ŽUPANIJA

Upravni odjel za turizam