20 - CHANGES
The castle retained its original function for many centuries after the Renaissance period, and during that time it underwent numerous alterations that partially changed its appearance. The settlement also underwent numerous architectural alterations but despite the significantly different social circumstances, the Grimani as owners sought different ways to ensure the prosperity of the community. In 1840, before the abolition of feudal relations in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, to which Svetvinčenat then belonged, the Grimani sold the castle to the diocese in Poreč-Parenzo. In the following period, the complex probably remained abandoned until the 1930s, when it was bought as office space for the Municipality of Svetvinčenat, but also for the so-called National Afterwork Club (nazionale dopolavoro) – the Italian Fascist leisure and recreational organization for adults. The up until then still preserved original interior parts of the castle were largely destroyed during that time. At the end of the Second World War, the castle was burned down and abandoned. Its major restoration did not begin until in the late 20th century.
Upravni odjel za turizam